Sunday, April 7, 2019

Etiquette for my funeral





So this has happened. 
I have shut my eyes for last time, 
and it’s a bit sooner 
than you would have liked. 

I think it would be fucking beautiful
if you could somehow 
get all the minutia of my life
to gather around me and join hands. 
That teddy bear I bought myself at 29
because I was going through a bad break up 
and wanted something soft to punch. 
The principal balance of my mortgage. 
The library card I spent months trying to get.
The tomato plants I tried to grow on the fire escape.
Have them all hold hands at my side
until there is a circle 25 miles in diameter
of all the worthless shit I ever wasted time on. 





For Marian's prompt at real toads.  Viva la. 

13 comments:

  1. Sister, I got you covered!

    I wish to have this carved on my own headstone:
    Here lies ... 'all the worthless shit I ever wasted time on'.

    Amen. Viva la!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my aching heart this is poignant! And it the end life seems like nothing more than a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often ponder what I might be think/saying from just barely the other side. This helped. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "until there is a circle 25 miles in diameter
    of all the worthless shit I ever wasted time on"

    Oh my gosh, I am so ready to start my life over from scratch, with this, my very first moment of breathing --- at 41.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s quite the feat to have lived 41 years before taking your first breath!

      Delete
  5. Wow. This reads like a cautionary tale. Point well taken!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For being dead, you're way bossy. But since you've already bought it, I'm taking the bear and the tomato plants. *sticks tongue out*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I LOVE the tone in this wonderful Last Words poem, agree with Kerry about "all the worthless shit I ever wasted time on" (brilliant!). And cracked up at Shay's comment. LOL. Poor Teddy, such a sore tummy he must have had.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No Funeral for me. I am being cremated. The heirs can do what they will with the ashes. I don't care

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whew! That's telling 'em! (And I'm with Toni.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. After this, OUR LAST MOVE, I have been pondering on all the "worthless shit"... So TRUE.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, your wishes are perfectly clear. Bravo! Oh, my, I can't imagine how big my circle of worthless shit would be. Love it!

    ReplyDelete