Thursday, February 28, 2019

Experiment in Haibun



Image copyrighted. Isadora Gruye Photography.



The stale gray cackle of TV gone off broadcast, and Charlie sound asleep in his armchair. Head down, lolling back and forth like a walnut stupidly free of its shell. 

Me and my slanted hope pace in the kitchen. I walk clumsy in these late hours. I don’t bother turning on a light. Instead stub my toe. Slam my palm on the kitchen table to hold in a yelp. 

Linoleum tiles
curl at the corners, and I
think they are laughing.


For the latest Season Your Poetry prompt over at toads. This is a Haibun which is a prose poem followed by a haiku metaphor companion. 

11 comments:

  1. So it often seems in the dead of night.nice first haibun! Trying to hold in pain while others sleep is next impossible. Thank you for writing to my prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! I can almost hear the lino snickering. Husband's head like a walnut free of its shell is so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was fun, Izzy. I love the turtle head bob I hope you don't stub your toes too often. I sleep with a light on shining from the bathroom. I have to have enough to see to put my slippers on. Plus it tends to keep the Boogie Man in tow.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seem to be more proficient in day stumbling. Love the haiku!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I can see this nightly image with the silence and darkness disturbed by that apparent laughter. I loved the setting and mood of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me and my slanted hope pace in the kitchen.

    Love how you expressed this slice of life, Izy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed the whole idea...late at night, stub your toe...linoleum laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linoleum laughing ~ how delightful, minus the stubbed toe of course.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delightful write....the laughing lino made my day!

    ReplyDelete